Being a coffee lover means that you are going to know about all of the different ways of making coffee. One of those is the pour-over coffee. Today, we are going to talk about how to make pour-over coffee without a scale.
“But is it possible?”, You might wonder. Well, it is, as we will find out soon. But before that, let’s briefly know what pour-over coffee is.
It is the coffee that you get by pouring hot water on coffee grinds, keeping some sort of a filter to stop the grinds from getting into the brew.
Now let’s jump into the main discussion.
How to Make Pour-Over Coffee Without A Scale
It is better to use a scale when preparing pour-over coffee. However, if you don’t have that anywhere near, you don’t need to worry. It’s possible to get your dream cup of coffee without a scale.
First, let’s see what things you will need while making this brew.
- Quality coffee beans
- A good grinder. No need to worry if you don’t have one; you can grind the beans without a grinder as well, although that’s not ideal. You can find how to do that in this article –How to grind coffee beans.
- A Chemex coffee maker.
- Chemex filters that come with the brewer.
- A kettle to pour the hot water from, and obviously
- A cup
Now let’s get into the main process of how to make pour-over coffee without a scale.
01. The first thing you need to do is grind your coffee beans. In order to do that, take some beans and put them inside the grinder. If you don’t have one, you can grind them by whatever other means you see fit. You want your grinds to be medium coarse in size. So make sure you select that option.
02. Put some water in the kettle and keep it on the stove. If you have an electric kettle, that will suffice too. The intention is to heat the water.
03. In the mean-time, fold your filter-paper as it should be and put it in the top part of the Chemex brewer.
04. Once the water has reached its boiling point, get hold of the kettle and pour a little bit of hot water on the filter that is placed in the Chemex.
What’s the point of doing that? Well, it removes the paper-e taste of the filter and adding to that, heats up the brewer. You don’t want the brewer to be cold because that will also make your coffee a bit colder before even getting a sip.
05. Now you have that water inside the coffee maker. You are likely never going to need that water. So just ditch it.
06. At this step of the process, you need to pour the coffee grounds you prepared in step-1. This is the trickiest part because you don’t have a scale. This is the part where you’ll really understand how to make pour-over coffee without a scale.
So what you need to do is put one table-spoon of coffee grounds for each cup of coffee. It follows, if you want to make 2 cups of coffee, one for you and one for your loved one, then put two tablespoons of grinds. You get the point.
07. Shake the brewer a bit so that the grinds all come to the same level. You don’t want them to be spread around in an irregular fashion.
08. Once you are ready and have the kettle of hot water in your hand, pour some water on the beans. Pour so much that all the grinds become soaked, not more, not less. This is called the bloom.
This will allow the grounds to be appropriately soaked: a cup of coffee with a delicate aroma and flavor. Wait for about 30 seconds here.
09. Again, the pouring continues. But do it slowly, in a circular manner. You want the process to be even and smooth. Keep doing that until you get your intended amount of coffee.
10. Get rid of the filter paper and pour the brew onto a cup, and voila! You have a fantastic cup of coffee.
And now you know how to make pour-over coffee without a scale.
One thing to note here is that if you want your coffee to be darkerdarker, you will have to put more grinds in the filter, and if you’re going to make it lighter, then reduce the grounds.
It depends on your sense of taste. Change it a bit here and a bit there, keep experimenting, and ultimately, you’ll discover what you like. You can even add a bit of sugar if you like sweetness in your cup.
Although the process is quite simple and easy, you need to remain cautious not to hurt yourself or others. For this, we have listed a few points for you, so that you can be mindful when making your perfect cup of coffee.
- Be careful when heating the water as both the heat of the stove and the hot water can cause a lot of harm.
- Keep children away from the hot kettle.
- Ensure you close the grinder’s lid so that the blades or disks don’t damage anything unwanted.
- Fold the filter-paper properly so that the filtration process works perfectly.
- Also, be careful when pouring hot water. You don’t want that to get onto any part of your body.
That’s all you need to be mindful of for now. Remember, safety is always the number one priority.
Finally, we have reached the end of our not-so-long discussion on how to make pour-over coffee without a scale. I hope this article has helped you if you were wondering if you can make a super cup of coffee without a scale or not.
Just follow the instructions and go on to prepare your cup of the dream. It might be a little hard when you try it for the first time. But as you keep practicing, the process will become easier until it becomes like your second nature!